Saturday, September 5, 2015

Prepring for my 1st BIG PIECE

It's finally come to this. After years of cross stitching, I will breach out into an unknown terrain, where the hills are rocky, the rivers fast and the wildlife acting like a bad hanghover. That's right...it's...

ZELDA: HYRULE MAP

Oh, wait a moment. Wrong one. Let me just...click here and-

DA-DA-DA-DAAAAAAN!!
And why, do you ask, have I dared to risk life and needle for this piece? The answer is very easy. My 14 year-old nephew wanted it as his birthday present. That's right, my male family member requested a cross-stitched piece of his favorite game.

Aunty was so proud of him. My inner gamer and crafter gave him four hearts.

Get it? Four hearts? Because Link uses heart containers and four pieces make a whole one? Get it??

*crickets*
I'm going to order the piece from Etsy. People have some really fun prints on there. And though its not an HAED piece, I think since its for someone I love it counts as the 1st. Defiantly not the last.

So I wanted to ask. What do YOU DO to prepare for a big piece? It just comes with the pattern and I have to buy the thread and fabric separately. I'm going for 18ct and wondering if I should use DMC floss or another kind, if I should buy in bulk and if I can just stock up at a local Micheal's (cuz that's like, my heart-throb store). I want to hear what you have to say. And if you haven't already started following me on Instagram (VanaQB) then make sure you do. I update on the progress of my pieces whenever I can.

I'm really looking forward to hearing from everyone. Thank you in advance.

Toodles!
-VanaQB

4 comments:

  1. I make sure I have all the DMC stashed (Michaels sale and/or coupons help!). If there are a large numer of colors, I might organize my floss in zip loc bags so I have no more than 15-20 floss skeins per bag- I use stitchbows but bobbins would work too. If the chart has a lot of confetti, then a highlighter to keep track of my stitches helps. I like to start stitching in the middle, but if the chart has many pages, then I might start in a corner. Have fun and remember every little bit of progress counts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen photos of people ordering their thread like that. Especially on the charts that require 100+ colors! And confetti.Thanks for the ideas, I'm pretty sure the color scheme in this pattern I'm doing will have the highest amount I've done so far :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I sure will! Zelda's my game-man! And Legolas is my movie-man :D They both have the ears :3

      Delete